This Strategic Action Plan for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion was created 10/25/2021
To follow through on our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in demonstrable ways, Our School abides by the following tangible goals and measurable outcomes, which will be annually monitored by our school’s Director and the college’s Dean of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. This document was created with input from the school’s Equity and Inclusion officers, the school’s Minority Liaisons, the school’s Equity Student Council, the Director of the school, and the college’s Dean of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
Establish and maintain an equitable and inclusive culture and climate in our school.
- Conduct a biennial survey of students, staff and faculty in the school, share the findings within the school, and use the results to establish and prioritize school initiatives that create and sustain a more equitable and inclusive culture and climate.
- Conduct annual audits and analyses on school-level data (curriculum, enrollment, etc.) related to gender, race, ethnicity, age, socioeconomic background, recruitment, hiring, promotion, pay, workloads, and/or retention to promote equity in the learning and work environment and share findings within the school.
- Host an annual DEI Town Hall to create a forum where the school community feels safe to speak on issues centered on equity, inclusion, access, and justice, and to assess overall progress toward our goals.
- Establish faculty, staff, and student recognitions for contributions to the advancement of diversity, equity, and inclusion within the school.
- Require applicants in all faculty searches to submit a Diversity Statement with their application materials.
Provide strong support for a diverse and inclusive student experience.
- Conduct targeted efforts and develop pipeline initiatives toward the recruitment, retention, and graduation of a more diverse and representative student body at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Develop pipelines with local and state high schools and two-year colleges to support the recruitment of a more diverse undergraduate student body within our school.
- Include Minority Liaisons or Equity and Inclusion Officers on the graduate student admissions committees.
- Continue to convene an Equity Student Council, an advisory council of students from diverse, underrepresented identities and allies that meets monthly during the school year to advise the administration and faculty on issues of diversity, inclusion and equity.
- Encourage the creation of student-led disciplinary groups that affiliate with larger multicultural associations (e.g., Hispanic Public Relations Association and the National Black Public Relations Society) and fund these opportunities when appropriate.
- Continue to provide students with a list of faculty who identify with historically underrepresented groups so that students can connect with someone who can relate to their journey within the university.
- Maintain the Diversity pages on the School Website and continue to evolve the information offered there.
Support innovative and inclusive teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Develop a training module on inclusive teaching that will be required viewing for all of the school’s teaching faculty.
- Continually share with faculty resources for diversifying their pedagogical frameworks and course content to utilize anti-racist and anti-sexist methods and ensure engagement with a diverse student body.
- Expand the portfolio of guest speakers and part-time lecturers to include more diverse and inclusive experts, experiences, and voices in the classroom.
- Build a course sequence that focuses on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Advertising & Public Relations.
- Develop and implement mentoring for underrepresented tenure-track faculty at the assistant and associate professor rank.
- Require faculty to include completed DEI training and activities on annual FAR service reviews.
To provide feedback or inquire further about this document, please reach out to School Director Natalie Tindall at email@example.com or School Equity Co-Officer Lee Ann Kahlor firstname.lastname@example.org.