2020 Stickell Honors Internship Call for Online Student Nominations
Download nomination information (being updated, will be posted soon).
Faculty from colleges and universities with an advertising program are encouraged to nominate one outstanding student to submit individual nomination packages. No more than one student may be nominated from each college or university.
All nominees must meet the following criteria:
• Be an undergraduate honors student,
• Be graduating in December of 2020 or May of 2021,
• Be returning to college/university in the Fall Term, 2020.
Note that being nominated is an honor and should be listed on the student's resume as follows:
• 2020 Vance & Betty Lee Stickell Award -- Selected as one of the most outstanding students studying advertising at (University Name).
Next summer, approximately twenty outstanding students will be selected to participate in 10- week internship programs at U.S media organizations, advertising agencies, as well as client and supplier companies. Each intern placed through the program will receive a salary of typically $4,800 for the 10-week internship ($12 per hour for a 40-hour workweek is recommended) plus either a $1,500 scholarship to cover their travel and living expenses or a housing allowance provided by their host company.
Digital Nomination Materials -- Digital nomination packages must be created by the nominees and submitted no later than Tuesday, December 3, 2019 by 5:00 p.m. CST.
The digital nomination packages must include only the following seven items:
1. A cover page that includes the following information: 2020 AAF Vance and Betty Lee Stickell Student Internship Nomination Package for: (Student Name).
(a) the nominee’s name, college/university, mailing address, email address, and telephone number; (b) their Faculty Sponsor's name, title, mailing address, email address, and telephone number.
In addition, the nominee should include two short paragraphs on their cover page in which they describe: (a) their major and area(s) of emphasis in their degree program; and, (b) their short-term and long-term career objectives.
Note that students interested in a creative career path (art director, copywriter, designer, content producer, etc.) must include a URL link to their online portfolio on the cover page.
2. A current resume.
3. A separate page(s) that lists and briefly describes all of the following:
(a) extracurricular activities; and, (b) work experience of the nominee. Work experience includes all part-time and summer jobs, internships, as well as any campus jobs or counseling assignments. Be sure to indicate the beginning and ending months of extracurricular activities and employment (List entries chronologically, with most recent dates first).
4. A letter on university stationery from the nominee’s Faculty Sponsor that addresses the personal and scholarly attributes that qualify the nominee to participate in the program.
5. Two additional letters of recommendation supporting the student's nomination. (These letters can be from anyone who knows the nominee well, e.g., a former employer, a classroom teacher, a pastor, or a parole officer.)
6. On a separate page, respond to both of the essay prompts described below:
a. Most Effective Brand. Which nationally distributed U.S. brand currently has the most effective and efficient Integrated Brand Promotion (IBP) programs? Explain your rationale for selecting this brand. (Maximum of 300 words).
b. Heroes. Who are your heroes and why? (i) Identify someone you know personally that you have looked up to and used as a role model. (ii) Identify a person who is widely known by the general public that you particularly admire and have used as a role model. Briefly explain what you admire about each of these two people and why. (Maximum of 200 words for each hero).
7. An official transcript of all the nominee's college/university work.
Submission Deadline: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 by 5:00 p.m. CST
Compile all of the materials described above into a single PDF file. Please be sure to follow the order indicated above, beginning with the cover page and ending with the transcript.
Please upload your nomination package pdf to your Google Drive or DropBox. Then send the link to Stickell Assistant Coordinator, Hannah Ilan, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the program, call 512.471.1101 or email email@example.com.