What are we looking for when we evaluate applicants?
Texas Immersive accepts both graduate and undergraduate students. The majority of the students accepted will be Stan Richards School of Advertising & Public Relations majors with additional accepted students from other UT majors, thereby ensuring the interdisciplinary nature of immersive.
Potential applicants could be explorers, thinkers, artists, copywriters, filmmakers, designers, researchers, coders...storytellers! We tie together audience research with storytelling and emerging technology by identifying real-world problems and coming up with novel solutions. We are looking for students who think differently, take action and work collaboratively.
To succeed in Texas Immersive, some basic digital communication competencies are required. This means you're comfortable with digital collaboration tools (i.e. Slack), publishing and social media tools (i.e. WordPress and Instagram), and know the basics of audiovisual programs (i.e. Adobe Suite).
Texas Immersive course prerequisites:
- If you are a Stan Richards School of Advertising & PR undergraduate major, you must have completed and passed ADV 325.
- If you are a Stan Richards School of Advertising & PR graduate student, you do not need to take ADV 325 but acceptance is approved by Professor Erin Reilly contingent on your response in the application related to courses taken to prepare you for this specialization. See a sample syllabus of ADV 325 as a reference.
- If your major is outside of the Stan Richards School of Advertising and PR, then acceptance is approved by Professor Erin Reilly contingent on your response in the application related to courses taken to prepare you for this specialization. See a sample syllabus of ADV 325 as a reference.
How to apply: Here’s what you need to do next.
Are you ready to level up and dive into the world of immersive? Your application should show us who you are and how you think. It should tell us a story about you.
The Texas Immersive application comprises two parts: (Part One) Application; and (Part Two) Experience Submission. Both your online application and experience submission must be submitted by 12:00 noon on Friday, April 30, 2021. If you are currently studying abroad, please complete the online application, and send any physical submission to Moody College of Communication by the same deadline under the subject Texas Immersive Application.
- PART ONE: Application. Go to the online Texas Immersive Application, Part 1 to give us your specific contact information, submit your media link for Part Two, and tell us in 1,200 total words or less why you are passionate about being a part of Texas Immersive.
- PART TWO: Experience Submission. Define “What is Immersive” through your own lens. Feel free to use any media format to explain this subject. Whatever media you use, it must be interactive (have the user do something). At most this experience should be under 5-minute experience so think short-form. Make a video / post images of the experience and share it on the Qualtrics form.
Application Decisions: Here’s what will happen then.
All applicants who successfully submitted both parts of the Texas Immersive application will be notified via email by Friday, May 7, 2021. Accepted candidates are expected to begin the program by enrolling in ADV378 Audience Development & Engagement in the forthcoming semester.