Anthony Dudo (Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison) researches the intersection of science, media, and society. He is particularly interested in scientists’ public engagement activities, media representations of science and environmental issues, and the contributions of informational and entertainment media to public perceptions of science. His recent work has examined factors influencing scientists’ likelihood to engage in public communication, scientists’ goals for public engagement, and the growing community of science communication trainers.
His research has been funded by the National Science Foundation and Rita Allen Foundation. Dudo was named a Kavli Fellow of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, and has won awards from the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, the Society for Risk Analysis, and the Moody College of Communication. He is the former Head for the Communicating Science, Health, Environment and Risk Division of AEJMC, and is an affiliate faculty member of UT’s Center for Media Engagement, Center for Health Communication, and Environmental Science Institute.
His research has appeared in numerous journals including Nature Nanotechnology, Communication Research, Science Communication, Public Understanding of Science, Risk Analysis, Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly, the Journal of Research in Science Teaching, and New Media and Society. His work has also appeared in books including, The Communication Yearbook, Hollywood Chemistry, The Handbook of Nanotechnology in Society, and The Cultivation Differential. He recently co-edited a book in the Moody College’s New Agendas series focused on strategic communication.
Dudo is the faculty committee chair of UT’s cross-disciplinary minor in science communication, and regularly teaches courses focused on integrated brand promotion and science communication. He previously worked in strategic communications for the Academy of Natural Sciences, a natural history museum and scientific research institution operating in Philadelphia since 1812.