In order to take an internship for credit, students must have completed the courses listed below with a C or better. On top of these prerequisites, students must have a GPA of at least 2.25 to take an internship for credit.
For ADV 350 (Advertising Internship):
For PR 350 (Public Relations Internship):
- PR 348 (Public Relations Techniques)
- ADV 344K (Advertising Research)
- ADV 345J (Advertising Media Planning)
For ADV 151 (Advertising Practicum):
- ADV 350 (Advertising Internship)
For PR 151 (Public Relations Practicum):
- PR 350 (Public Relations Internship)
For ADV 350s, PR 350s (Internship in Sports Media):
- Upper-division standing
- A University grade point average of at least 2.25
- Advertising 305S or Public Relations 305S
- Three additional hours from the Sports Media Certificate approved coursework list.
Current postings can be found in the Jobs section of our LinkedIn page. In addition, you can also visit the Communication Career Services web page to view additional opportunities. Paid internships will be considered first for approval. No more than two internships per organization will be approved for credit. Students are expected to be compensated for their internship--related expenses. Because this list is not comprehensive and does not reflect the number of internship opportunities that may be available, students are encouraged to seek out and apply for other available internships. Each internship must be approved by the Internship Supervisor, Dr. Isabella Cunningham.
Please consult the Summer Internship Guideline document for more details. Your internship experience should follow these basic steps:
- Find, apply for and obtain an internship (the earlier the better, many positions are already filled by the beginning of the semester).
- Register for an internship course (making sure that you meet course prerequisites and minimum GPA requirements).
- Download and fill out the Internship Application Form.docx. Both you and your supervisor should complete and sign the corresponding sections.
- Email the scanned version of the completed application (in one PDF document, using your full name as the file name) by 5:00 pm on May 24, 2018 to Arnold Chung.
- You will be notified whether your internship is approved for credits.
Important Deadlines for Internship Application
May 24, 2018 (by 5 pm) Application deadlines for the internship courses.
May 29, 2018 (by 5 pm) No application will be approved after this date.
May 29, 2018 (by 5 pm) Students who did not get their internship approved by the above deadline will be dropped from the course.
Internship Course Requirements (Complete 3, 4 and 5 only for Summer 2018)
Attend a mandatory orientation for the course.
Attend 5 of the guest speaker lectures. Speaker events will not take place every week, but they will be scheduled on Monday (7:30 - 8:30 pm) and on Wednesday (6:00 - 8:00 pm). Exact dates for the speaker events will be announced during the orientation and will be updated on Canvas as well.
Complete 3 reading assignments (for ADV350/350s & PR350/350s students only).
Both you and your supervisor are required to complete midterm and final evaluations on your internship performance.
Write and submit a Final Report (guidelines will be posted to Canvas).