MAIP Spotlight: Karen Lai
Multicultural Advertising Intern Program aims to increase diversity in the advertising industry
1. What’s your major, classification, and hometown?
Advertising; Junior; Plano, TX
2. What made you apply for Multicultural Advertising Intern Program (MAIP)?
I applied for MAIP because I knew a couple people who had done it last summer and had a
3. What was the most difficult part of the application process for you?
The most difficult part of the application process for me was definitely the video component. I really struggled with how to express myself in a two-minute video and being on camera.
4. Where will you be interning this summer, and in what discipline?
R/GA in Chicago, IL; Strategy
5. What interests you most about the company you’ll be working for?
I'm most interested in the different clients that the company already is working with. More specifically, R/GA Chicago recently did a website overhaul for Grey Goose. I would love to work on a campaign like this that focuses on portraying the brand identity/message through a website. But also... what college student doesn't want to work on an alcohol brand?
6. What’s something you’ve always wanted to see in the city you’re interning in?
One thing I've always wanted to see in Chicago is Willis (Sears) Tower because it's such an iconic building and provides a beautiful view of the city. The photo opportunities from the glass balcony at the skydeck are also an added bonus.
7. What advice do you have for students thinking about applying to MAIP in the future?
My advice to students thinking about applying to MAIP in the future is to not put the application off until the last minute and do the additional project if you really want to end up in a creative discipline.
You can check out Karen’s portfolio at www.karenklai.com.
MAIP (Multicultural Advertising Intern Program) aims to increase diversity in the advertising industry by giving talented students professional development opportunities and summer internships in their respective disciplines. Check out the MAIP website for more information if you’re interested in applying next fall!
Original Content Team