Whether your objective is to work in the political sphere, on the agency side, for a major news producer, on a start-up social media team or any other member of the professional communications community, the undergraduate degree offered in the Stan Richards School of Advertising & Public Relations is designed to meet your goals. The Public Relations track rigorously prepares leaders in public relations and communications industries by providing hands-on practice and real world experiences.
Specialized coursework in writing for PR, PR techniques and PR strategy are required as well as elective coursework in several relevant subject areas. This program is known for its heavy emphasis on the importance of professional writing in AP Style. Similar to the advertising degree, a related internship is required. Students are encouraged to find their niche within the industry based on their individual interests and goals.
Students from a wide variety of backgrounds come to the Stan Richards School for their undergraduate education in public relations because of the focus placed on the innovative use of new public relations tools, strategic thinking, professional writing and ethical practice.
After analyzing 20 factors across 111 colleges and universities, College Factual determined that The University of Texas at Austin bachelor’s in Public Relations is the #1 PR program in the nation. College Factual also found that the median salary of public relations students who receive their bachelor's degree at UT Austin is higher than the national median for all public relations bachelor's degree recipients.
Some positions held by our recent alumni:
● Director of Public Relations, Steel Advertising and Interactive, Austin
● Digital Content Coordinator, Texas Exes, Austin
● Sr. Account Executive, Pierpont Communications, Houston
● Global Digital Coordinator, Burson Cohn & Wolfe, New York
● Assistant Account Executive, Edelman, New York
● Assistant Editor, Brilliant Magazine, Austin
● Account Coordinator, David&Goliath, California
● Public Relations Coordinator, T3, Austin
● News Production Associate, MTV News, New York
● Account Coordinator, Burson Cohn & Wolfe, New York